Lanalee Araba Sam M.D.
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Lanalee Araba Sam, MD, OBGYN, has distinguished herself as a top specialist in robotic assisted surgery, proctoring nationally for Intuitive Surgery, the maker of the da Vinci® Surgical System. Dr. Sam performs several da Vinci hysterectomies, as well as other procedures, at Broward Health Imperial Point in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Broward Health Imperial Point is one of 100 hospitals in the nation, and the only hospital in Florida, to earn the Hospital of Choice Award. ... View full profile
What is Essure?
Essure is an FDA approved sterilization procedure for women. There are no incisions. Instead, spring-like coils called micro-inserts are inserted through the body’s natural pathways (vagina, cervix, and uterus) and into the fallopian tube.
Is Essure right for me?
• The Essure procedure can be the right choice for you if:
• You do not want a surgery that involves incisions
• You want a birth control that is permanent
• You want a hormone-free method of birth control
• Your partner does not want to have a vasectomy
• You don’t want to worry about an unexpected pregnancy
• You are overweight or underweight and surgery is risky
• You are concerned about the risks of general anesthesia
• You had an endometrial ablation and should not risk pregnancy
What are the Benefits of Essure?
• It is 99.80% effective based on a 4-year follow-up.
• The procedure takes very little time out of a woman’s day (procedure is roughly 35 minutes).
• Most women return to their normal activities within one day.
• Unlike many other temporary methods of birth control, the Essure micro-inserts do not contain silicone or release hormones into the body.